While packaging/testing pyglet 1.1.3 for the Enthought Python
Distribution, I ran into the problem that the X11 library on Solaris 10
(both 32 and 64 bit) does not define the symbols Xuft8*.
As a quick workaround, I patched the source pyglet/window/xlib/xlib.py,
i.e. uncommenting lines with start with "Xutf8", such that no ctypes
import of those symbols is made.
Oddly, there is code in pyglet/window/xlib/__init__.py, i.e. the line
_have_utf8 = hasattr(xlib._lib, 'Xutf8TextListToTextProperty')
which checks for utf8 support, and everything workes as expected.
My suggestion would be to perform a check for the existence on the
Xutf8 symbols first, and based on the result of this check, only
define ctypes bindings to the Xutf8 symbols if they exist.