Editor for Protocol Buffers Binary Messages (stored in files or called from Java) using a Proto File.
Note: The latest version of the Protocol Buffers Editor is now at:
- Viewing / Editing a message
- Editor includes a "proto search" which will try and find the proto-definition for a protocaol buffers data file
- Comparing Messages
Limitations currently include
- Unknown Fields (i.e. Fields not defined in the Proto File) are not visible.
The project wraps Protocol Buffers objects as RecordEditor objects http://record-editor.sourceforge.net/ then calls the RecordEditor to do the actual editing. It is a member of a family of Editors that use a common core:
- Java 6 (may work with Java 5 not tested though)
- Protocol Buffers 2.5.0 Installed (Earlier / later versions may work).
- Protocol Buffers protoc program must be on the standard path setup.
Message File Open screen
Main Tree Display
Single Message View
- 0.92 Changes include
- Change to use Protocol Buffers 2.5.0
- All screens for a File are now displayed as Tabs rather than as separate screens.
The tabs can be undocked (and redocked) if required.
- Added Child screen option to List Screens
- Added Hints dialogue
- Enhanced HTML Export, option to open exported file with default programs
- Highlight change fields in compare
- Minor GUI changes
- Enhanced Help menu (can open Manual / Forums etc).
- Problem fixes including Paste Prior issue, 64 Mb exceeded issue (there are
likely to be problems with big files though)
- 0.88 Changes include
- New "Proto Search" function. This new option will try and find the proto definition file for "Protocol Buffers Data File".
- Enhanced Html export + option to Open exported files using the default application
- Enhanced filter - can use And / Or's + new starts-with operator
- Find new Starts-With operator
- Many minor Gui changes + Enhanced Help Menu
- CSV / Xml Editor can now use a Cobol Copybook to edit a Single record Fixed Width File
- 0.85 This is a "cleanup" release with only problem fix's and minor changes made.
- Many minor GUI changes mostly related to Windows and Nimbus Laf, but Ctrl-A +
several other keys are now supported
- Change Look and feel back to Native on Windows
- Changes to find function to fix some issues
- Inclusion of a Csv Editor (essentially ReCsvEditor) in the package. The Csv Editor
can also view / update existing Xml files.
- 0.80.6 Based on RecordEditor 0.80.6 and Protocol Buffers 2.4.1
- Rewritten Save As/Export with a few more options. Changes include:
- Separate Save As option
- When selecting a specific export option, only the relavent panel is displayed
- Can now view / edit Csv, Xml and Fixed export files directly in the Protocol Buffers Editor.
- Velocity 1.7 is now used and supplied as standard. You can use Velocity to export files.
- Can export via a Script (Jython, JRuby etc, but you must su7pply the appropriate jar file).
- New option to control the size of the screen when the editor starts
- 0.69h Based on latest RecordEditor
- Fix's problem with display code on insert
- support for Exporting with Velocity template
- 0.69g Based on user requests /
- Support for import in proto's
- Support for Self Describing messages (2 formats):
- Delimited File with the first message describing the following message
- Single field with the first field describing the message.
- New option to display proto definition of file being edited (View >>>> Show Proto Definition)
- Can now specify the protoc command + extra options (Edit >>> Edit Startup options >>> Protobuf)
Allows the use of non standard protoc or the addition of extra import directories