Open Source Water Quality Data Management System
What is Open Waters?
Open Waters is a web-based water quality data management system that allows you to manage water quality monitoring locations, samples, results, and projects. The intended audience is tribal, state, or local volunteer water quality data managers, who collect and manage water quality data, and have the need to submit this data to EPA's WQX program. Open Waters is unique in that people can manage their data locally, but submission to EPA is completely automated and handled behind-the-scenes, thus eliminating the burden of separate data submission to EPA.
Note: The Downloads tab for code.google.com is no longer used. Please use the links above to download the latest files. code.google.com will continue to be used to host source code.
- 1/9/2014 Version 1.3 released, which includes:
- Better support for using multiple organizations:
- Organization-specific application security
- Organization-specific reference data
- Added ability to define a subset of commonly-used characteristics (to speed up activity data entry)
- Added option to delete or inactivate monitoring locations
- Updated documentation
- Minor tweaks
- 8/20/2013 Version 1.2 released which adds the following:
- New Mapping Page: view a map that displays your monitoring locations and most recent monitoring results. Includes both a private map (only available to your staff) and public map
- Updated Styling: updated user interface
- 4/2/2013 Version 1.1 released which fixes several bugs
Open Waters Features
- Water Quality Data Management: Manage your water quality samples & results, monitoring locations, projects, and organizations, including biological metrics and indices.
- Automatic WQX Submission: Data is automatically submitted to EPA’s WQX program (http://www.epa.gov/storet/wqx/) as it is entered (if data is flagged for submission to EPA)
- Reference Data Synchronization: Reference data (e.g. Pollutant names, Taxonomic names, analytical methods, etc) are fully synchronized with EPA’s reference data, ensuring that submissions will not fail due to mismatches in reference values.
- Bulk Data Import: Data can be bulk imported from Excel, saving time on data entry.
- Charting: Time series charts can be generated with a variety of options.
- Mapping: View monitoring locations geospatially and see latest sampling results. Publish public map.
- Application Customization: Customize app to show or hide various data elements, allowing application administrator to streamline data entry to only include the data elements of interest to the Agency staff.
- Security: Role-based application security and additional layered security measures to ensure data security
- Multi-Organization Support: Support multiple agencies to share the application; all data is segmented by Organization.
- Open Source: Application is free to use, free to share, and free to modify
More information can be found at: http://open-environment.org/openwaters.html
- Windows Server 2003 or later (IIS 6 or later)
- .NET Framework 4.0
- Microsoft WSE 2.0 & 3.0
- web server can communicate with Internet and Database