My favorites | Sign in
Project Home Wiki Issues
New issue   Search
for
  Advanced search   Search tips   Subscriptions
Issue 6065: Show appcache entries in the network panel
3 people starred this issue and may be notified of changes. Back to list
 
Reported by dang...@gmail.com, Nov 8, 2012
Right now, resources that are pulled from the application cache are not displayed in the network panel at all. There's a simple demo here:

http://appcachefacts.info/demo/

It would be useful to have those items displayed and, ideally, for each request whether it came from the network, from the browser cache or from the appcache.
Nov 13, 2012
Project Member #1 odva...@gmail.com
Yep, agree with the idea.

Couple of comments:

1) I am a bit confused that the demo page doesn't specify any manifest file. Shouldn't it be an attribute of the <html> element? See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/HTML/Using_the_application_cache

2) I don't know if BFCache and Application Cache share any logic, but if I set "Show BFCache Responses" option (Net panel options menu) - I see all 6 requests the page executes...

Honza




Status: Triaged
Cc: odva...@gmail.com simon.lindholm10 sebastia...@gmail.com
Labels: net Type-Enhancement
Nov 28, 2012
#2 dang...@gmail.com
When I view source on that page, the HTML tag appears like this:

<html class="no-js" lang="en" manifest="manifest.appcache">

I do see what you mean about "Show BFCache Responses" showing the entries. I think you're right that there is probably some shared logic there. To be honest, "Show BFCache Responses" is not super obvious to me, but I'm glad it's there!
Nov 28, 2012
Project Member #3 sebastia...@gmail.com
> When I view source on that page, the HTML tag appears like this:
> 
> <html class="no-js" lang="en" manifest="manifest.appcache">
I'm pretty sure that wasn't there when I checked last time.

> I think you're right that there is probably some shared logic there.
As Honza already said having "Show BFCache Responses" checked I can see all six requests. Just the two Google Analytics pixels don't get loaded, of course.
So I wonder if we have to change any logic here. Maybe it's enough to rename that option to include the application cache?

Sebastian
Nov 28, 2012
#4 dang...@gmail.com
Huh. Seems like the appcache manifest should have been there all along, given that that was the entire point of the page ;)   Doesn't matter, though.

Renaming the menu item (possibly just to "Show Cached Responses") may make it clearer to people who don't know what a BFCache is.

Ideally, there would be some indication of resources that came from the appcache because the rules for appcache are different from normal cache rules.
Nov 29, 2012
Project Member #5 sebastia...@gmail.com
> Renaming the menu item (possibly just to "Show Cached Responses") may make it 
> clearer to people who don't know what a BFCache is.
Doing so would confuse people because responses coming from the normal browser cache (HTTP code 304) are currently shown regardless of that option being checked or not.

> Ideally, there would be some indication of resources that came from the appcache 
> because the rules for appcache are different from normal cache rules.
Fine. Then we just need to know a way how to distinguish them. I didn't check the code.

Sebastian
Nov 29, 2012
Project Member #6 odva...@gmail.com
>> <html class="no-js" lang="en" manifest="manifest.appcache">
> I'm pretty sure that wasn't there when I checked last time.
The same for me, it was not there before.

> Renaming the menu item (possibly just to "Show Cached Responses") 
Sounds good to me.

Also asking here:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.platform/browse_thread/thread/e73da18add4d5a7e?hl=en#

Honza
Nov 29, 2012
Project Member #7 sebastia...@gmail.com
>> Renaming the menu item (possibly just to "Show Cached Responses") 
> Sounds good to me.
So you don't fear the misunderstandings this could cause?

Sebastian
Nov 29, 2012
Project Member #8 odva...@gmail.com
>>> Renaming the menu item (possibly just to "Show Cached Responses") 
>> Sounds good to me.
> So you don't fear the misunderstandings this could cause?
I would probably use different name, but I really don't like the "BFCache" label, 
which has been remarkably confusing since the beginning.

Honza
Nov 30, 2012
Project Member #9 odva...@gmail.com
One patch related to this issue committed at:
https://github.com/firebug/firebug/commit/dfd37eee287b01cc63d541ef3d5ba636ebb387ae

BFCache and AppCache entries are now distinguished by a label in the Status column (BFCache vs. AppCache)

We should vote for the Option label change. Now, it's more like:
"Show BFCache and AppCache Responses"
(but of course it's not my favorite label ;-)

I am not yet marking as Commit.

Honza

Owner: odva...@gmail.com
Cc: -odva...@gmail.com
Jan 29, 2013
#10 fel...@gmail.com
Hi,

why don't we always enable this and remove the preference item in the menu ?

Problem solved ;-)


Jan 30, 2013
Project Member #11 odva...@gmail.com
The problem is that BFCache and AppCache entries don't represent HTTP traffic and the Net panel is primarily about monitoring/visualizing HTTP traffic. I am afraid that most users are actually not interested in entries that don't represent actual data transfer over the wire (but I might be wrong).

Honza
Jan 30, 2013
#12 fel...@gmail.com
We're already doing this for the files that we directly get from Cache.

So if I follow your reasoning (which is a product decision so it's not good or bad per se :) ), we should not see these files by default either. And then the preference item could be "show requests served from Cache". "Cache" would include HTTP Cache, BFCache and AppCache.
Feb 5, 2013
Project Member #13 sebastia...@gmail.com
Note that for requests read from HTTP cache there's still a request made to the server, which returns the 304 status code.
So HTTP cache differs from BFCache and application cache.

Sebastian
Feb 5, 2013
#14 fel...@gmail.com
Well, I was speaking of the files we get from HTTP Cache without a request, ie that didn't expire. Then there is no request at all.
Feb 20, 2013
Project Member #15 sebastia...@gmail.com
That's not true. Even when the HTTP cache didn't expire, Firefox still makes a request.
Firebug even shows that by giving you the information about the "Response Headers" and the "Response Headers From Cache". See the attached screenshot using this page.

You can easily verify that by using a network analyzing tool like Wireshark.

Sebastian
HTTPCacheResponses.jpg
96.4 KB   View   Download
Feb 20, 2013
#16 fel...@gmail.com
Sebastian, that's not true. I think you're seeing this because you hit "reload", and in that case Firefox revalidates its cache. However it does not happen when you merely visit a site. Try to reload the page by hitting "enter" on the address bar instead of using the reload icon or F5.

see the screenshot of what happens in this case with http://everlong.org/mozilla/cache/ when I merely hit "enter" from the address bar (after being loaded once of course). That's what I'd like to have for appcache entries that we retrieve from the cache.

Note that here I configured my HTTP server to give explicit HTTP cache headers but the same happens for cache values got with heuristics.
Capture d'écran - 20022013 - 23:29:14.png
90.4 KB   View   Download
Feb 22, 2013
Project Member #17 odva...@gmail.com
> why don't we always enable this and remove the preference item in the menu ?
I am still unsure, since requests coming from the bf or app cache doesn't represent HTTP traffic. But agree that this is also an option.

Btw. it has been mentioned somewhere that in order to increase discoverability of these cache requests, we could display a link (in the content of the Net panel) saying e.g. "There are also non-wire requests, do you want to see them?" (or something like that).
This would be useful especially when the Net panel is empty and the user is confused why there are no requests at all.

Honza
Feb 22, 2013
#18 fel...@gmail.com
That's right: we are in the "network" panel. Maybe the name "network" is not good anymore.

I like a lot your idea with the link.
Feb 24, 2013
Project Member #19 sebastia...@gmail.com
> Btw. it has been mentioned somewhere that in order to increase discoverability of these cache requests, we could display a link ...
That's issue 6258.

> Maybe the name "network" is not good anymore.
Renaming the Net panel (and other panels) is already in discussion for a long time. See  issue 3565 .

Sebastian
Mar 13, 2013
Project Member #20 odva...@gmail.com
(No comment was entered for this change.)
Labels: bfcache
Sign in to add a comment

Powered by Google Project Hosting