AresEd is a high-level and fully featured 3D game creation suite. It is Free and Open Source. When it is finished you will be able to make full 3D games without writing any code (although a fallback to the python scripting language will be provided). AresEd is based on the Crystal Space 3D engine and on Crystal Entity Layer for game logic. It is also based on WX for the user interface and Bullet for physics. The editor is fully physics based and shows a realtime preview of the game world.
Crystal Space: http://www.crystalspace3d.org
Check out the MainPage for more information about Ares and AresEd.
Visit our new partner:
- 21 Aug 2013: I uploaded a few screenshots showing the latest changes to AresEd. You can see them here
- 23 May 2013: There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes but that's not visible here. So for that reason I posted a new blog entry
- 12 December 2012: There is a new Crystal Space community on Google+. If you are interested in sharing screenshots or news about your Crystal Space based projects then that's the place to be: Google+ Crystal Space Community
- 15 November 2012: Project Ares is looking for C++ developers! AresEd is already evolving fast but we need help to really get AresEd in a great state and to be able to make more complete games. Please contact me at jorrit dot tyberghein at gmail dot com if you are interested. Thanks! Update: I made a Developer Guide to help you get some pointers on Crystal Space, CEL, and Ares.
- 12 November 2012: First binary alpha release of Ares! Read Ares 0.0.2 Release for more information. I'm also looking for developers to help me work on this project.
- 12 November 2012: Hakin9 Magazine prepared for us content concerning advanced IT security. It is now available for free and all you need to do is create a free account at www.hakin9.org . Their current edition addresses one of the most recognized and popular IT security network scanners. This professional programs provides users with easy access to a large, comprehensive collection of security-related tools, ranging from port scanners to password crackers. Thanks to co-operation with BackTrack (BT,Nessus,Snort creators and a group of professional specialists who wrote specific articles for us, we were able to cover specific toolkits and possible uses in one publication. This suite of security tools has been wonderfully described from different points of view, giving us the excellent content presented, below. Looking through the list of articles, you’ll find thematic sections, presenting each author’s work. We devided our content into sections concerning each one of the biggest network scanners in the world. Get this digest for free!!
- 25 July 2012: Work is still underway but focus is now more on the Ares Game Editor and less on the actual game. I think it is better to have a usable game editor before work on the game can really start.
- 11 Januari 2012: On this page you can find a number of new screenshots showing the current capabilities of Ares Editor. Soon I will make a new video blog entry demonstrating the editor.
- 19 October 2011: I made a new IRC room #AresProject on FreeNode IRC network where everything related to Ares can be discussed.
- 17 October 2011: I added a new subforum for Ares on the Crystal Space forum site. You can find it at this location. Feel free to discuss everything related to Ares there.
- 14 October 2011: In order to welcome new people to the project better I started to document as much as I can about Ares and CEL in this wiki. This includes technical documentation on how the entity system works as well as documentation for artists. This is not complete yet but already contains a lot of useful information. Start reading at the MainPage.
Here is a screenshot of the current version of AresEd in action:
Here is an older version of AresEd: