ArduPlane Project News
The ArduPlane community is centered around DIYDrones, which is the best place to go for daily news, discussion and support. If you have specific comments on the manual you can comment on each manual page here, but general tech and usage questions should be posted on the DIY Drones discussion forums.
The below are selected milestones and announcements:
- June 2013: This manual has now moved here and will no longer be maintained here. Please use the new manual.
- May 13, 2013: ArduPlane 2.73 released. Bug fixes, GPS improvements and elevon performance enhancements. Details here.
- April 28, 2013: ArduPlane 2.72 released. Significant navigation improvements as well as other performance enhancements and bug fixes. Details here.
- April 5, 2013: ArduPlane 2.71 released. Performance improvements, bug fixes and new MAVLink features. See details here.
- Feb 20, 2013: ArduPlane 2.70 released. Bug fixes, performance improvements and a few new features including improved digicam control. More details here
- Feb 10, 2013: ArduPlane 2.69 released. Includes new Training mode, support for PX4 board, and improved performance. Details here.
- Dec 3, 2012: ArduPlane 2.68 released. Bug fixes and much improved sensor/DCM processing for improved performance. Details here.
- Nov 21, 2012: ArduPlane 2.67 released. Bug fixes and new features. Details here.
- Oct 30th, 2012: ArduPlane 2.66 released. Bug fixes and feature additions. Details here.
- Sept 23, 2012: ArduPlane 2.64/2.65 release. Bug fixes. Details here and here.
- Sept 17, 2012: ArduPlane 2.63 released. Minor bug fixes, including one that had caused resets if a GPS was not connected. Details here.
- Sept 12, 2012: ArduPlane 2.62 released. Minor bug fixes and performance improvements. Details here.
- Sept 9. 2012: ArduPlane 2.61 released. Bug fixes and performance enhancements, which are all described here.
- August 22, 2012: ArduPlane 2.60 released. Bug fixes (including one on the dataflash erasing) and performance improvments. Main new features in this release are: wind estimation; long term dead reckoning support; wheeled takeoff and landing support; optional new roll/pitch/yaw controllers. Details here.
- July 25, 2012: ArduPlane 2.50 released. Improvement include improved DCM performance, waypoint logic and altitude control. Bug fixes include dataflash erasing, some missing MAVLink parameters and navigation roll control. Details here.
- June 15, 2012: ArduPlane 2.40 released. Supports MAVLink 1.0, new 3DR Ublox GPS module, improved dataflash erase to ensure fast startup on first use, fixed an elevon reverse bug in the setup process. Details here and here.
- May 13, 2012: ArduPlane 2.34 released. Fixes a bug that affected some APM 2 boards with a slightly rev of the MPU-6000 sensor. Adds support for MAVLink 1.0. Details here.
- April 9, 2012: ArduPlane 2.33 released. Compass declination can now be set automatically. Includes MAVLink improvements optimized for new 3DR radios.
- March 28, 2012: ArduPlane 2.32 released. Includes some compass and baro sensor improvements. Full description here.
- March 17, 2012: ArduPlane 2.30 released. Much improved DCM and compass code for better stability and navigation performance. Many other bug fixes. Full description in the release post here.
- Jan 16, 2012: ArduPlane 2.28 released. Improved compatibility with APM 2, including support for airspeed and battery-monitoring sensors. Some bug fixes on compass and datalogging.
- Dec 20, 2011: ArduPlane 2.27 released. Adds geofencing function, improved datalogging and filesystem, faster MAVLink starts.
- Nov 19, 2011: ArduPlane 2.26 released. Log files will now overwrite from the beginning of the memory when the dataflash is full (before, logging would halt when memory was full until you manually cleared the logs).
- Nov 13, 2011: ArduPlane 2.25 released. Bug fixes, plus changes to mission structure so that conditional and immediate commands are located between associated waypoints instead of after the second waypoint.
- Sept 8, 2011: ArduPlane 2.24 released. Mostly bug fixes, including fixes to avoid memory overruns and EEPROM corruption. Also includes a few new features, including improved MAVline comms, improves Crosstrack correction, code to avoid Xbee bricking, improved use of the temperature sensor in barometric sensor reading, etc.
- August 25, 2011: ArduPlane 2.23 released. Includes differential aileron/flap functionality. Corrected AIRSPD2PTCH_IMAX Mavlink parameter to work in GCSs. Fixed condition_change_alt command to handle decents properly
- August 15, 2011: APM 2.22 released. Many small improvements, including: MAVLink startup is now much faster and will work even if the hardware fails the calibration test. 5883 magnetometer bug fixed. Various (mostly minor) navigation bugs fixed. MAVLink comms improved.
- July 3, 2011: APM 2.20 released. Now supports the new standard magnetometer using the HMC5883L chip, which is autodetected. Also fixes problem with airspeed sensor autodetection in some setups. For now, to enable your airspeed sensor via the Mission Planner Configuration screen. Change the AIRSPD_ENABLE value to 1 to enable, then click "Write PIDs" to save. You can check that it's enabled correctly with the CLI Test "airspeed".
- June 9, 2011: Gorgeous new Mission Planner version (1.0) released, with a new Guided mode for real time "go here now" commands. Details here.
- May 2, 2011: APM 2.1 is released, which takes the 2.x project out of beta. Release details are here. The manual, Mission Planner and HK GCS have all been updated for APM 2.x.
- March 11, 2011; First APM 2.x beta released. This is a major update, including MAVLink-based telemetry, mission planning and two-way communications. Details in the announcement post here.