My favorites | Sign in
Project Home Issues
New issue   Search
for
  Advanced search   Search tips   Subscriptions
Issue 5890: The application Email (Process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly
  Back to list
Status:  Obsolete
Owner:  ----
Closed:  Jun 2013


Sign in to add a comment
 
Reported by chad.cam...@gmail.com, Jan 7, 2010
I have a motorola droid, with Droid 2.0.1, kernel version 2.6.29-omap1-
g0dd7e0b android-build@apa26 #511

Every time I try to open up any of my 3 email accounts that are not gmail 
I receive this error msg, "The application Email (Process 
com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." I also 
tried and removing one of the accounts but the samething happens, also 
rebooted phone, and removed the battery, did not resolve. 

Any ideals on what can resolve this issue???

THanks,

Chad




Jan 7, 2010
Project Member #1 e...@google.com
we'll need the output of "adb logcat" while this is happening, or a bug report from right after to make any 
progress on this.
Labels: Component-Applications Subcomponent-Email
Mar 29, 2011
#2 josef.jo...@gmail.com
It appears as though this is a common issue for many frustrated Android users out there, so I’m posting what I did – which actually worked! – in the hopes that it will help at least a few of you out.

A Little Background:
I purchased the Droid on opening day, but never set up my Exchange email until recently (more than two months after the fact). Just never had the need really. After setting it up, it ran pretty smoothly for several weeks. I’ve (apparently) been fortunate enough to not run into the dreaded “The application Email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.” error message… Until Now!

The Problem:
From what I’ve read, the root of the issue is a bug in the Email app/program related to unparsable email headers. When you get an email with such headers (which sorta explains why my email was working fine for a while), you will get the error message above.

The Non-Solutions:
- Killing the app (with programs like Advanced Task Killer Free) and restarting the app doesn’t work.
- Rebooting and restarting the app doesn’t work.
- Killing the app PLUS Rebooting and then restarting the app doesn’t work. Trust me, I’ve tried several times.
- Attempting to kill the app in “Manage applications” doesn’t work (well sorta) because it’s not readily listed and not easy to find (see solution below).

The Solution:
1 ) Go into your email from your desktop client and delete or file away the latest emails that you suspect may’ve started to cause this issue. (I can’t confirm whether or not this step is actually necessary, but I did it anyway to be safe.)
2 ) From your home screen, press the tab on the bottom and go to Settings.
3 ) Select Applications
4 ) Select Manage Applications
5 ) Hit your Menu option/button (the one with four lines usually between the Back/Return button and the Home button)
6 ) Select Filter
7 ) Select Running in the Filter Options pop-up menu.
8 ) Scroll down and select Email. (If it’s not in the list, you probably killed it. Go back and start it first and then return to step 1.)
9 ) In the Email app’s Application Info screen, press the Clear data button. (Be advised that this will essentially clear all of your account info from the Email app, causing you to have to re-set everything up again like your login name, password, server names, etc. The exact prompt says, “All of this application’s data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, settings, accounts, databases and so on.” Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean it will delete your emails on the server.)
10 ) Open up the Email app again and it will prompt you to set everything up again (log in name, password, servers, etc.). Walah! The error message should now be gone.


Jun 2, 2011
#3 Lois77...@gmail.com
This solution didn't work for me. Thank you for your post.
Jun 23, 2013
#4 jbq@android.com
Based on its date, this issue was originally reported before Android 4.x. Because of the many changes that existed in Android 4.x compared to previous versions, it's very likely that this issue doesn't exist in recent versions of Android like 4.2.2 or newer. Because of the high likelihood that this issue is obsolete, it is getting closed automatically by a script, without a human looking at it in detail. If the issue still exists on a Nexus 4 or Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.2 and is not related to Google applications, please open a new report accordingly.

Status: Obsolete
Sign in to add a comment

Powered by Google Project Hosting